Thursday, September 9, 2010

Where's the Karate Kid?


Christina and I went around and mapped the outdoor public art from FAC to Turlington Hall. Christina used her iphone with google maps to create a map that located all the art. At each location she would set a “pin” that would locate her exact location and she titled each pin with a description on the piece. I took photos of all the art. We were planning on using the pin locations and the photos together to allow a person to see what they wanted to visit first. Do to time limitations we were unable to make our dream map, but I realized that just a brief description and directions how to get to the art would be enough information for anyone to follow the map. We e-mailed the information to each location to Josh’s iphone where he hopefully located all the art.

I followed Kenny and Mitzi’s map. They had a simple key on the map that I soon realized represented the bathrooms. But I was wondering, if I did not know how to read a map key would I have figured it out? I already knew the there were different sex bath on different floors of FAC, so I wonder how much information was my previous knowledge that I brought to the map?

I also followed Kristen’s map. I was a little confused with the scale of the map. I had a hard time locating all marks. I never did find the “Karate Kid” that day, but I did se it the next morning when I got off the bus. I might not have understood the map right then, but it did make me think and I was more aware of my surroundings the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment