Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Make A Map

For my mapping exercise I decided to map all (or almost all) of the shaded areas that you could sit under on the Reitz Union North Lawn. The idea came to me while walking around and feeling sort of miserable under the hot sun. I didn't want to stick around the Fine Arts area so I kept walking west until I came to the North Lawn. Many people like to sit under the trees there so I decided to map that, or at the very least diagram it. Part of the map was drawn from the ground and part of it was drawn from the 5th floor of the Marston Science Library.

As for the map that I followed, it was a strange spiral shaped map (when I created a trail in my head) of all the public sculpture/art objects that were erected on campus. I was pretty familiar with the sculptures but there were a couple that I hadn't noticed or didn't figure out right away. The geo-tagging function was interesting because I could see the longitudinal and latitudinal location of each sculpture but my phone's gps was a little off so it was kind of hard to follow. Also, I noticed that the order of the coordinates that I received in my email dictated the shape of the trail - something to think about when directing your explorers through your mapped space.

Josh

1 comment:

  1. it's interesting that your map will be most accurate only at a certain time of day, and not accurate at all at night.

    ReplyDelete