Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Personalized Map_Hye

Hye's Personalized Map
I am interested in making "Personalized Map."
What does make personal? It may be personal choice, preference and taste.
I went around UF campus and found 6 trees which I liked.
And I marked the trees' locations in campus map from #1 to #6.
I draw the six trees briefly on the paper.
I realized that some choices of the tress are intentional, but other choices of trees are random or accidental. My choices is subjective, but not absolute, and it has to be in the context.
I just wonder that if I can make a map through researching personal preference like common interest, hobby or cultural background.
It was fun experience that Zach navigated my personal map and found most of the trees.
I made the map for myself, so it was not friendly map. His response were more descriptive!

Response about Zach's hand-drawing map.
The hand-drawing map is fun, interesting and friendly rather than a print regular map.
I felt that I can find some treasure from his map. It is easy to navigate and recognize the place.
He wanted me to draw more details, but I thought the map had enough information.
He brought me "where I am", so I was looking for "what I can do here?"
I tried to find human activities and trace passengers and buses.
In his map, there are tress, benches, bus stops and trashes.
I want to record traces of people, who are not belong to space, but be there at this moment.
There is no permanent map and map represent a place at this time.
Depending on duration of time, a map can be changed or updated every moment.

Overall I enjoyed reading+discussion+exploration by myself+exploration by Zach.







No comments:

Post a Comment