Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Personal Marks

I was inspired by a sticker "tag" found on a light post south of FAC next to Inner road to create a map charting the intentional marks made by what appeared to me to be a single hand. I started from the graffiti tunnel working north to FAC and west to the food court. I found four different types of marks; spray paint "tags", sticker "tags", stencil "tags", and then a red line made with spray paint. I mapped the frequency and type of mark by creating a key which illustrated a representation of the mark and placed these marks in a spatial representation of the area. What I found the most interesting were the red paint lines. I assumed because of their frequency and uniformity that they were made for some utilitarian purpose, perhaps by the city or school. But at the same time the purpose of the lines remained a mystery. The lines where found on the sidewalk, road, light posts, and on two trees. Also, because they were produced by hand and not by a stencil they shared a similar athletic found in the spray painted "tags". Outside of the designated graffiti area, I wondered what the individuals where thinking when they made their marks. Where they claiming a territory, or setting up a cryptic scavenger hunt? Though I ignored the marks made by institutions such as sticker advertisements, UF signage, and obvious city utility marks, their presents heightened the autonomous nature of the marks I was mapping. I never think about who put up the street sign, or what they look like as their motivations are stated within their institutionalized mark. They likely wear a uniform and have no personal motivation to make these marks other than obligation. But who is it that made the marks that I was charting? Do they also believe they have an obligation to disrupt the landscape with their marks, or to communicate with pedestrians. I felt like the placement of the marks started to revile their intentions if not their identity.


Rachel's Map

My first impression of Rachel's map was informed by touch and interaction. She had wrapped her paper map around a stick and then wrapped that with leaves and flowers. The map's incasement of vegetation reflected the overwhelming overgrown vegetation found in the location that she had mapped, a small nature preserve within the UF campus. Her representation of the area was a drawing illustrating the site and calling out key landmarks inviting us to retrace her path.

No comments:

Post a Comment