Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dérive in Philadelphia

While I was away in Philadelphia this weekend I figured what better place to conduct a dérive than a city you've only visited once as a child.

My journey began on South St. - what would be equivalent to the downtown area of Gainesville. A farmer's market was set up in the main square. I decided to keep walking and arbitrarily chose a direction. I was aware that it would be easy to start a "historic Philadelphia" tour of various landmarks and monuments so I tried to avoid following any tourist routes and signage.

I walked around what I would later find out to be an area called Society Hill (a ritzy part of town) and began to notice a variety of things that peaked my interest.

One of the first things I noticed was how clean the neighborhood was (especially when compared to the other parts of the city I had seen over the weekend). When I came upon my first bit of graffiti, and gold graffiti at that, I immediately took a picture of it.


This was stuck onto the side of a newspaper box.



Around the corner I noticed a horse drawn carriage but couldn't catch up to it to take a picture. I noticed the house next to me had this great window front to it.




From there I noticed a small cobblestone road with these neat metal poles that had horse heads on them. I figured they were probably for tying up horses to (or even locking your bike to).



From there I noticed a massive overgrowth of vines covering the window of a house. The sudden block of green between the red brick houses caught my eye and prompted me to go down St. Peter's Way.







I noticed there was an old fashioned light post with a neighborhood watch sign attached to it indicating that I was in Society Hill.



On the other side of St. Peter's Way was this neat metal sculpture.



Down the street from the sculpture I decided to change directions and while crossing the street, I tripped over this odd brick that was sticking out from the rest of the street.


Next to the protruding brick was a house with this mosaic doorstep.


Beyond that was an actual tree growing next to a sculpture of a tree.


There were a lot of house that had extravagant sculptures in front of them like the two pictured below.



After wandering through the neighborhood a little I came to an opening. I had reached Washington Square - a small memorial to the first president. In the square was a building with three different shutter colors that caught my eye.


In the park I found this very picturesque scene of an abandoned umbrella. Just beyond it was a busy city street called Sanson St. - or otherwise known as Jeweler's Street because of all the jewelry stores on it.


By this time I had decided that my dérive was over and that I wanted to head back home but on my way I couldn't help but snap this picture of a funny sign.

2 comments:

  1. You uncovered some wonderful places. Those iron posts with horse heads are great. That totally links the historic mode of transportation to present day if you were to sling up your bike on that post. And that window being consumed by the massive growing vines feels alive in your photo. Reminds me of Correggio's Zeus and Io painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of parallels in imagery here Josh. Particularly the tree-tree dynamic, and as Logan mentioned the horse-bike security posts. Philadelphia looks beautiful, I would like to visit now, after seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete