Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Where To Use The Restroom And Relax

Mitzi and I decided to map out the restrooms in the Fine Art Buildings. We started on the first floor of FAC and worked to the top floor, then repeated for all Fine Art buildings. Keeping in mind the notion that in order to map, you must completely ignore the rest of all surrounding and space, focusing only on what is of importance for the maps purpose, we chose to eliminate all identifiers of the buildings and floors. The only identifying structure was a symbol system witch correlated to green triangles for a men's rooms, pink/purple squares for a woman's restrooms and orange circles for family restrooms. Also, those who are more familiar with the layout of the Fine Art buildings probably would eventually realize the layout of buildings were that of Fine Arts, perhaps the only other easily identifiable visual aspect of the map.

For the second half of the exercise, I took Josh's map out for an adventure. Perhaps this was a slip in the exercise's rules, but Josh began to describe his map first, stating he was mapping all the shady spots on the North Lawn. So, I set off with the notion of nice, relaxing places to sit and enjoy the outdoors. I was surprised at how easily I was able to orient myself in physical space in realation to the map and I quickly found myself sitting under the largest trees with the largest amount of shade. Though, I think I sat down next to a family of squirrels that were rather concerned at my presence and then proceeded to making rather loud howls for little squirrels. It really was a peacfull and relaxing trip, and I found myself saying I needed to just down down in the shade of a nice tree a little more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment