Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Microscope Movies

For some reason when I recorded my video with the software we bought it recorded it at twice the speed. So I'm posting the originals along with the slowed-down versions of my videos because I wanted to capture the vibrations of metal guitar strings on a microscopic level. Here they are for your viewing pleasure.

The first is with an electric guitar:



The second is with an acoustic guitar:



I also wanted the sound to go along with the video so I recorded the strings being plucked. There were some interesting things happening with the microscope pressed agains the strings while they buzzed. Unfortunately to match up the sound, I had to slow down the video to the point where you really loose the motion blur from the vibrating strings.

2 comments:

  1. i really like the idea of looking at waves/vibrations..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coils on the string are more compact than I thought they would be, they pick up the light like a tight row of ball bearings that are magnetically attached. Mapping in this sense makes me think of trying to visualize the unseen, the vibration slowed down as though the sound wave could be mapped visually. This was a great idea, thanks. (Mitzi)

    ReplyDelete